Almost everyone has heard the term SEO, which is an acronym for search engine optimization. It is important to your website because the better the optimization for search engines, the more likely you will be listed first when someone searches for your product or service. It affects your business visibility on line. When looking at organic searches, people tend to select the first business listing that comes up as a result of their search. So you want to be first if you can and here are some tips that will help you get there.
Five Keyword Guidelines For SEO
There are some guidelines you need to follow and you may need the assistance of your webmaster, even if you are using Wordpress of some other content management system.
- First, make sure the keyword for the page is in your title. Google will look for this as an indication of content.
- Second, be sure to limit the number of keywords per page. If you have too many it may be difficult for the search engine to decide which one is the important one. If possible, keep it to one keyword. And make sure that it is contained in the primary heading or your page.
- The keyword should also be in the first sentence of your first paragraph. Don't forget to use long tail keywords as well. Long tail keywords are terms that people might use to search for your products. You may find these searchers are more focused and more ready to buy.
- Never stuff a list of keywords into your document, your text needs to make sense. Be sure to end your paragraph by using the main keyword again.
- Always use keywords as the name of an image when it makes sense. This can also be the long tail keyword. If using the long tail keyword, separate the words with a hyphen not an underscore.
You will find hundreds of websites in your area all looking for the number one position from the search engine results. Many of these site owners are using the same keywords you are using so you will need to be creative. For example, don't think "furniture" for your keyword, think "antique furniture" instead. Take it another step and think "English Oak Bedroom Furniture", for the long tail. You can take that a step further and insert your community such as, "English Oak Bedroom Furniture in Oakland Texas", for your long tail keyword.
Let me know your thoughts